Daily Challenge: If you couldn’t answer with your job, how would you answer the question, ‘what do you do’?
Questions like this made his legs cold, his head sweat, his chest itchy, and his heart want to tear itself out and find a body with more respectable answers. His brain twisted and turned hoping that at least one answer would make his parents happy.
What do I do? he asked himself, and sat himself before his screen, I…
- follow a strict hygienic regimen consisting of brushing twice per day, flossing once, and showering only after sweating profusely.
- practice calisthenics, gymnastics, yoga, weights, and other strenuous exercises at the local gym
- long for the days for a full-time and enjoyable career.
- eat three sources of protein per day with plentiful snacks in between.
- partake in improv classes, a hobby until recently kept secret from roommates and friends.
- read profusely, namely novels like Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim and The Hunger Games.
- ponder how life paralleled that of Gatsby.
- seek jobs for which I’m overeducated yet underqualified.
- struggle to keep this blog alive and happy with nurturing attention instead of spiteful distaste.
- watch Doctor Who
- hope that groceries would last another week before having to go shopping again.
- realize the joys of honey whiskey.
- wonder whatever happened to Mrs. Semaria from first grade.
The longer he looked at this list, the more he thought, This is who I am? This is what I do?
An unsettling silence followed.
Yes, the silence seemed to say, yes.